Breastfeeding and Breast Pumping In the Summertime
The summer brings sunshine and fun for you and your little one(s). Some important tips to keep up your milk supply when the air heats up:
- Stay hydrated – drink to thirst, water is best!
- Put on sunscreen – yes, apply as needed but avoid the nipple & areola area; zinc oxide and titanium oxide-based are better than chemical-based sunscreens; try wearing clothing that is SPF so that you can minimize sunscreen application for both of you.
- Self-tanning lotion can be used but again apply sparingly and avoid the nipple & areola area. Read labels!
- Hair removal – laser, electrolysis & topical hair creams are okay but if using hair creams, be sure to avoid applying to the nipple and areola area. Rinse them off well before breastfeeding or breast pumping.
- Pools – yes, you can swim in a chlorinated pool; if you are extra concerned – just wash your nipple and areola before breastfeeding or pumping; same with hot tubs!
- If pumping, use an effective but light and compact breast pump while you are out and about in the sunshine – try the Ameda Finesse (linked below).
Enjoy the summer!
Published by Ameda
Written by: Pamela K. Murphy, PhD, MS, APRN, CNM, IBCLCCertified nurse-midwife, lactation consultant, OB nurse, educator, healthcare administrator, mother & wife
Lately On the Blog
Follow Us on instagram
Sign up for our newsletter and get our latest product reviews, helpful tips, and special offers!